Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Take Back Earth

(Or, Fantasy and Reality--So Very Different? Part 1)

Well, last night, I was "dragged" into a crazy amount of roleplaying fun. It was totally awesome… in a nutshell, Earth was being invaded worldwide. One of my best friends was a seriously kick-(butt) Lieutenant, as were some of the new friends I made, and I was apparently the only medic in the whole crisis, oddly enough (funny, too, how it was mostly injured legs I was taking care of… go figure.) XD I'm sure most people on the outside thought we were all crazy, and maybe we were, but it was a blast anyways. ^_______^

But me being… well, me, it got me thinking. Something about last night struck a cord way deep down in my soul--a place that longs (strike that, pines) to be on the front lines of an epic clash between Good and Evil, longs for glory, that's never been satisfied with the mundane world around me. Fortunately for me (and others like me), I realize, I don't have to just write stories, be a gamer, or role-play and pretend I'm in a war of epic proportions and deadly consequences.

I was born into one.

Last night's motto was "Take Back Earth." As a Christ-follower, that should be my motto too (Great Commission, anyone?) I should whisper it to myself during the times when the fight seems impossible. I should strengthen my war-weary comrades with it. Heck, we should grab each other's forearms during the tough times and shout "NEVER GIVE UP! Send those [censored] bugs back to hell where they belong!! We can do this!" like we did last night. ^__^

...So…why...don't we?? The wars aren't that different besides the fact that one is far more real but also harder to see.

Maybe because we're too ready to see a host of Reapers invading Earth, and too unwilling to see our deeply entrenched Enemy and the scores of tactics he uses against us every day in our "normal" lives.

Maybe we're too ready to see complete strangers as vital allies in our struggle against an imaginary evil, and too ready to see our brothers and sisters in Christ as hypocrites, holier-than-thous, weirdos, people who annoy us, hurt us, would never understand us, you name it.

Maybe we're too ready to keep pushing against those alien invaders--even when our shuttles crash, our legs are blown off, our comrades are gunned down, and we're bone-weary and outnumbered--but far, far too willing to give up ground and give up hope when the Enemy (Devil) hammers us directly with accusation, condemnation, lies, temptations, hopelessness, (etc), or when our fleshly desires seem just too strong to overcome, or when the World entices us and sings its lulling siren song of complacency.

And maybe it's because we don't see ourselves as being in a war. Maybe if more of us began to really see the truth about the spiritual reality / war, we'd be banding together as vital allies instead of dividing over stupid things. Maybe we'd be bringing our injuries to those who can help us find healing and get back in the fight, instead of hiding our wounds and scars as much as possible and letting them fester. Maybe we'd be calling out our positions--our struggles, our enemy's positions, our victories, our defeats, our needs for reinforcement--over the comm, instead of pretending everything's fine and we don't need anybody. Maybe we'd be out on the front lines instead of trying to convince ourselves there is no war.

And maybe we'd be having more victory against the World, the Flesh and the Devil. I, for one, am not willing to live like a "civilian" when we're in the middle of the most epic war ever fought. I can see enough of it to know that closing my eyes to what I can see is a very bad idea. But I know I'm not meant to fight it alone... nor am I even meant to go in "just me and God." I'm in an army, a Body, for a reason. So, who's got my back? I'll cover you if you'll cover me. Any recon units? Any infantry divisions? Anyone who knows that what we see with our physical eyes is only part of reality?

Em, over and out.

Take Back Earth.


"For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war according to the flesh, for the weapons of our warfare are not of the flesh, but divinely powerful for the destruction of fortresses. We are destroying speculations and every lofty thing raised up against the knowledge of Jehovah, and we are taking every thought captive to the obedience of Christ." II Corinthians 10:3-5

"Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his might. Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the schemes of the devil. For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places." Ephesians 6:10-12

"And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God,  praying at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication. To that end keep alert with all perseverance, making supplication for all the saints." Ephesians 6:17-18

“So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.” II Corinthians 4:18

It's not like I'm walking alone
Into the valley of the shadow of death
Stand beside one another
'Cause this ain't over yet
I'd be willing to bet that  if we don't back down
You and I'll be the ones
That are holding the crowns in the end

When it's over we can say "well done"
But not yet, 'cause it's only begun
So pick up and follow me
We're the only ones
To fight this thing until we've won
We drive on and don't look back
Doesn't mean we can't learn from our pasts
All the things that we mighta done wrong
We coulda been doing this all along

Everybody with your fists raised high
Lemme hear your battle cry tonight!
Stand beside or step aside,
We're on the frontlines.

And we'll be carryin' on until the day it doesn't matter any more
Step aside--you forgot what this is for
We fight to live, we live to fight,
And tonight you'll hear my battle cry

We live our lives on the front lines
We're not afraid of the fast times
These days have opened up my eyes
And now I see where the threat lies

Everybody with your fists raised high
Lemme hear your battle cry tonight!
Stand beside or step aside,
We're on the frontline.


~"Frontline" by Pillar

3 comments:

  1. I prefer this song...

    It used to be a distant call
    Thought to be for some but never all
    Now our wounded lay on every side
    Now this call to arms can't be denied

    The enemy will tremble
    As young and old assemble
    A mighty army up in arms

    Armed and dangerous
    God's enemies will scatter
    Armed and dangerous
    We'll see the darkness shatter
    This armor is worth it's weight
    No weapon can penetrate
    Armed and dangerous
    We're ready to storm the gate

    We're not so tough on our own
    Not one can even stand all alone
    Just a rag tag army at its best
    We sometimes even fail the smallest test

    But though this tribulation
    There comes a transformation
    We don the armor of our King

    Stand!
    Up against the flood
    Stand!
    Covered by His blood
    We are the standard He has raised
    Stand!
    Earnestly contend
    Stand!
    To the very end
    We've only just begun to fight

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed reading this! I guess I had never thought of it that way. We as people are willing to drop everything if it means a chance at glory or to help our fellow brothers and sisters in a new war on our home turf. But we do nothing but bicker and squabble over things related to another war that been fought since time began. Lets give it a try...

    "Sic transit gloria mundi"-Thus passes the glory of the world

    ~The Endless Waltz~

    ReplyDelete