Saturday, February 18, 2012

Peace... as a weapon?

Well, this week there's been a lot on my mind--a lot to make me anxious when I let it. And in addition to that, we had an outreach Bible study at our house last night that the enemy was very obviously trying to stop. Today, I've seen evidence of spiritual attack on two different fronts--one personal against me, one against the family in general. So as soon as I could, I got outside to pray and just fellowship with God. And as I was bringing all this before Him, He told me something very interesting that I wanna share with anyone who reads this:

"Peace is your strength. It is your weapon against the Enemy."

Me being me, my reply was something like "howzzat?" I mean, really, nobody thinks of peace as a weapon! But then I started really thinking about it (and praying for explanation ;) ). For one, peace brings us hope, which gives us strength. That part made sense. True peace is the result of a strong faith in and reliance on God--taking Him at His word and living out that trust. In Ephesians 6, we're told that faith is our shield against the fiery darts of the enemy.

Seems to me that peace is both the fruit of that faith and protection in and of itself. Bear with me as I try to explain (it's often hard for me to put into words the things that God just sorta teaches my heart). X) First, the Enemy's prime weapons:

1) Deception. This is his number one tool because it works so stinkin' well. Christians fall prey to it all the time. It is extremely versatile and extremely effective. Every other of his weapons must necessarily stem from deception. Jesus says He is the Way, the TRUTH, and the Life. If Satan can steer us away from the truth, he has some wiggle room in our lives.

2) Fear. This weapon can be everything from the various manifestations of evil that we often think of when we think "The Enemy," to fearing what others think of us, or anxious thoughts. Fear necessarily means focusing on the object of fear--and if that object is not God, it normally means that, albeit subconsciously, one is viewing that object as bigger than God. Fear erodes our faith. For this reason, God says we are to fear Him and Him alone.

3) Pride. This was what caused Satan's fall from heaven in the first place, I might note. If the enemy can get us focused on ourselves in pride, we won't be focusing on God and therefore will be pretty easy targets. I should note, too, that pride does not only mean "arrogance." Self-pity and self-deprecation/false humility are forms of pride as well.

Obviously, the enemy has many tactics, but they pretty much all stem from one or the other of those three. Now…think about peace (true peace--from God) in relation to each of those weapons. I think these two verses about peace (or "being still") easily show its power against those weapons:

"“Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.” The LORD Almighty is with us; the God of Jacob is our fortress." Psalm 46:10-11 ("know that I am God"… there goes Deception, Fear, and Pride all in one!)

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." Phillipians 4:6-7

This works offensively-speaking as well: when our souls are at peace before God, simply resting in the knowledge of who He is… we are strong. Our warfare will be stronger, bolder, and more effective because our hearts cannot be fearful or striving when we are at peace. They will not be vulnerable to the enemy, because they are basking in the knowledge of who He is and the strength of trusting Him. They will be strong in the joy of the Lord, ready to stand firm and storm the gates of Hell if need be.

"Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid." John 14:27

No comments:

Post a Comment